Problems with drive usage (Debian 1.3.1)

Hello Debian Users..

This mail was caught in a prevention script before going to the
list. If someone could please answer this mail this would be
fine. The Reply-To: is set accordingly.

Thanks,
Alexander
(spam@debian.org)

--
Alexander Koch - <>< - aka Efraim - PGP - 0xE7694969 - Hannover - Germany
--- Begin Message ---

My problem: Debian Linux 1.3.1 (Linux kernel 2.0.29) does not install properly
on my system. I got the Linux version together with a book on Linux-databases,
which recommends to install the following partitions:
- prim 83 /              60 (within the 1024 cylinder boundary)
- prim 82              130
- log   83 /usr        600
- log   83 /home     200
- log   83 /var        200
- log   83 /tmp       100
- log   83 /adabas  400
- log   83 /httpd      200
I already have 5 FAT16 (1 primary) and 4 HPFS partitions on my IBM DGHS09UW
SCSI-drive but there is sufficient free space left. The block size seems to be
512. Error messages upon booting the kernel during istallation:
- Warning: Unknown PCI device (104c:3d07).
- Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card.
- PPA: unable to initialize controller at 0x378, eror 2.

The error messages upon partitioning/initialization:
When I try to add the new partitions to the begin of the empty space, cfdisk
0.8i labels the remainder "unusable", after I add the two primary partitions
(/ and swap).
When I try to add the new partitions to the end of the unused space, or all of
them as logical partitions, cfdisk installs all of them. But as soon as I try
to initialize the new partitions, the system fails to work properly when I
arrive at /dev/sda16 ("is the entire device, not just one partition").
Initializing the partitions in the reversed order yields: "Could not stat
/dev/sda18 - no such file or directory" although cfdisk shows the correct
entry in the partition table.

What can I do to work around that problem?

My system:
OS:
- DOS/Win3.1
- OS/2 Warp 4 (dual boot)
- hopefully soon Debian Linux 1.3.1 (Linux kernel 2.0.29)

Drives:
- Maxtor 72004 (2 GB, EIDE)
- IBM DGHS09  (9.1 GB UW-SCSI)
- Plextor PX-6XCS 2.05 (CD-ROM, SCSI)

Grafics-adapter: ELSA winner 2000 office, 4 MB (BIOS: 7.03.04; Bus: PCI)
Colordepth: 8 bpp
Resolution: 1280*1024
Refreshrate: 75 Hz

Mainboard: Tyan Tomcat II, Revision: 3.02, BIOS: Award 4.51 PG 1996, Chipset:
Triton2

Processor: AMD K5, 90 MHz
RAM: 48 MB
Soundcard: CreativeLabs Soundblaster 16
SCSI-board: Adaptec 2940UW

Screen: IBM P70

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best wishes and  Happy New Year to all Linux experts out there!

Martin Guttenberger

--- End Message ---