Re: modem answering to a different song?

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 01:07:57PM -0500, Colin Telmer wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get a modem to answer to a distinct phone ring?
> My phone company allows one to have up to four numbers on one line each
> with a distinct ring and I would like to set up a fax server that answers
> only on one of these numbers. Any ideas? Cheers, Colin.

Mgetty works by listening to the modem for "RING" on the serial line
and then sending commands to the modem to answer instead of the
normal getty behavior of letting the modem auto-answer. If your modem
supports distinctive ring, you could probably modify mgetty to listen
for "RING 4" or whatever. This may involve getting the source and
recompiling.

If your modem doesn't support distinctive ring, you can buy external
phone line fax swiches which use the ring cadence to switch the line.
ISTR that Radio Shack has them, at least here in the States. Even
then look into mgetty, it nicely handles incoming fax and data calls
on the same line as your outgoing modem connections.

your pal dave

--
Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA