Re: File that reads commands file?

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, ktb wrote:

> Hi, I was wondering does each distribution of Linux have slightly
> different commands, in say bash?  I was thinking if they are different,
> then the books I am looking at  are off because most of them are based
> on Red Hat.  So if that is the case I think it would be a good idea  to
> find the files in my personal distribution that execute commands if
> there are such things?  Then if  something I read doesn't work I don't
> have to always assume it is me and I can look and see if the command is
> supported.  Well, I could learn to do so.  If so what are some of the
> names?   I am quite new to this so I hope I don't have to look at some
> of them in root:)
> Kent

The way I understand it, and I'm no expert by any means, different distros
do indeed have different commands (and different file structure
arrangements, etc). Bash, however, is bash is bash is bash. It can be
installed on Redhat or Debian or slackware, etc, but it's still bash
(although I suppose a distributor could make mods to their bash, but then
they'd have to make mods again when the next version of bash comes out if
they wanted to keep their mods in the current version).

Rather than change the commands in a standard "tool" such as bash, the
different commands between distros are more likely to be non-standard (in
the sense of not a standard tool that all distros use). Such things might
be Redhat's control panel vs Debian's lack of one (although I've heard
rumors of a similar tool for Debian being in development). I'm sure there
are others, but I'm not familiar with RH enuff to say.

As a general rule, if a RH book mentions a command that doesn't work on
your system, I think it's safe to assume that it's not you, but rather the
differences between distros. In most cases though, you'll probably find a
similar command/tool in the other distro.

 --
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu