Should be installing Linux soon. Questions.

Howdy all,

I am a Windoze user tired of having 5 lockups a day. I should be
installing Linux soon and I have a few questions.

1. Could someone please explain X-Windows to me. What are desktop
environments, window managers, etc.?

2. Is Star Office compatible with Office 97 documents? Does it have a
spell checker.

3. I currently have two networked computers. Both with Windoze 98. I am
only going to install Linux on one of them. Is there any way that I
could network them so when I install Linux, I can FTP Netscape, KDE,
Star Office, etc. from the Windoze computer to the Linux one?

That's all for now. Thanks in advance!

Jeff