Re: Newbie needs help

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, stumpy@capital.net wrote:

> host" error.  Also I have no clue how to install the software packages.
> I tried to download to floppy and then transfer over (which is a problem
> since my zip program doesn't do a split)
> and then run DSELECT.  When I choose the floppy access method, it says
> to enter the floppy with the packages file.  I put in the disk that has
> the downloaded file on it but it does not except it.  Any help with
> getting this going would be great.

The "Packages" file is not the file you think it is. Instead, it is found
in the root of each binary-arch hierachy on the FTP site. Is contains Info
on all the available packages in each release of Debian Linux
(hamm/slink/potato/whatever) I would recommend you wait until you get FTP
going, or use a Debian CD, which you could get for $2-3 I think in the US
from somewhere such as CheapBytes, or LSL. (www.cheapbytes.com -
www.lsl.com - I think, offhand.) The floppy method, although I have not
tried it, does not sound appealing. You could use instead,
 `dpkg -i <packagename>.deb` to install each package manually.

> The computer is a PC clone 386, 16M Ram, 1.44 and 1.2 disc drives, 500M
> hd, 33.6 modem. No CDROM.  Thanks alot.

I see no problems with that, although a 4x CDROM drive would be helpful,
if you got yourself a Debian CD.

HTH,
                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                Bother! said Pooh, as the Klingons opened fire.