Re: Newbie needs help

Hello,

Firstly, I'm not sure which way you'll want to go, so please don't hesitate to
ask me for more details on some point that I skim over...

> The install worked fine (minus I can't boot from the HD).

I don't have any experience with this, but the most common response I've seen
to this problem is: have you re-run lilo?

> I'm having problems with the FTP.  The modem connects fine to my ISP
> (i'm using ppp) but when I try to open a site I get "unable to look up
> host" error.

Have you tried to ftp by IP number?

> Also I have no clue how to install the software packages.

Probably easiest to get FTP working first, and then tell dselect to use the
ftp access method. That way it'll do everything for you.

> I tried to download to floppy and then transfer over (which is a problem
> since my zip program doesn't do a split) and then run DSELECT.  When I
> choose the floppy access method, it says to enter the floppy with the
> packages file.

The Packages file is a list of all the packages.

Since you only downloaded an individual deb, it's probably easier to do it
manually. Mount the floppy

  mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

and then install the packages with dpkg

  dpkg -i /mnt/*.deb

Don't forget to unmount the floppy afterwards

  umount /mnt

Note that if dpkg complains about a missing dependency, it means it *hasn't*
installed that package (so don't delete it yet).

You can switch between using dselect and using dpkg as you wish - so you can
use dselect for ordinary stuff, but dpkg when there's something special (like
broken ftp, or if you need to use force).

Jiri <jiri@baum.com.au>