Backups seem to take too long(scsi tape)

Hi all,

I have a Seagate Tapestore 8G on a scsi-2 controller.  When I back up
my drives(ext2, vfat) and some smbfs mounted drives(over a 10-T) it
seems to take too long.  I am just using tar whith compression.  Here
are the stats from tar:

Total bytes written: 5752760320 (5.8 Gb) (contained in 130541 files/dir)
Elapsed time: 05:14:882, 18882 sec
Throughput per second: 298Kb/sec

Is this expected?  The tape says that it should get between 600Kb/sec
and 1000Kb/sec depending on compression ratio.

What can I do to speed this up?

Thanks,

--
Brian