Re: DHCPCD?

	Is it a @home cable modem?

> It seems to have installed, and setup itself to run at boot time. However, it
> does nothing.
>
> If I run it manually I get this:
>
>     # /usr/sbin/dhcpcd -d
>     ioctl SIOCSIFBRDADDR (ifConfig): Cannot assign requested address
	I had this same problem..

> and it does *not* configure my eth0 device. I have to manually configure it to
> get access to my network.
>
> I'm using DHCPCD 0.7 from a February 1998 hamm beta. I'd like to hold off until
> I get a new drive and Debian 2.1 is released before reinstalling, so far I've
> had no other problems.
>
> So what's wrong, and how can I fix it? Thanks.
	Well what Kernel version are you running?  I'm running the 2.1.X
series and I thought that might have been my problem.  I even was forced
to make a small partition and install Win95 just so I could figure out my
IP when it changed.  Luckily for me (and I guess for you) I found a new
version of dhcpcd on Freshmeat that now seems to work nicely.  Go there
and lookup dhcpcd, you want version 1.3.14 or later.  Versions below that
one .13 and .12 seemed to work but they took the wrong address from the
wrong DHCP server.  If you have any problems getting or compiling the
source give me a private email and I'll send you the binary (but I suggest
you compile it yourself).  hope this helps.

			mike...