Re: absolute beginner !

Alain Cadenat wrote:

> Hy all,
>
> I am an absolute beginner in linux and  Debian
>
> I have just download and (successfully) installed the base debian linux.
> It runs properly on the same hard disk of windows 95 ! (hmmm not too bad for
> a beginner no ?)
> But now..............
> I dont even know how to read the .gz files in /usr/doc
> I wish also to install an X11 interface. Where can I find one and how to
> install it ???
>
> Thanks for weloming me in the linux community
>
> Alain Cadenat

	First I reccomend the Midnight Commander (mc) file manager for starting
out.  Mc can let you browse a xxx.gz file simply by placing the cursor
over the file and pressing the F3 key.  You don't have manually run
gunzip/gzip all the time.
	Second, you either need a Debian CDROM or a *lot* of time spent
downloading the X11 stuff (multiple megabytes are involved here).  I'd
suggest getting a Debian CDROM from one of the many distributers of
Linux on CDROM.  One example is http://www.cheapbytes.com; who sells
Debian on CDROM for just a few bucks plus shipping.

--
Ed C.