Re: absolute beginner !

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Alain Cadenat wrote:

> Hy all,
>
> I am an absolute beginner in linux and  Debian
>
> I have just download and (successfully) installed the base debian linux.
> It runs properly on the same hard disk of windows 95 ! (hmmm not too bad for
> a beginner no ?)
> But now..............
> I dont even know how to read the .gz files in /usr/doc

Use zless - this uncompresses them and reads them without adding lots of
big uncompressed documents to your hard disk.

> I wish also to install an X11 interface. Where can I find one and how to
> install it ???

You need Xbase, and xserver-vga16, and an xserver that suits your card
(plus all the packages these depend on). I suggest you use the hamm
versions for now, as the slink ones have a few niggles ATM.

Have fun,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo