Re: biff and comsat don't work

I suspect the reason for this is that you have a daemon which listens
to netbios-ns port already running when you (re)start your (x)inetd.
The culprit in question is probably nmbd which is part of samba
distribution.

Does the problem go away if you do these things?
  1. first shut down your (x)inetd
  2. execute /etc/init.d/samba stop
  3. start (x)inetd

Doing things in this order should kill nmbd and make it release the
netbios-ns port.

Max <davros@cyclone.stanford.edu> wrote:

> The only error in the logfile that I can find is:
>
> Nov  2 12:35:43 chinook xinetd[27596]: bind failed (Address already in use). service = netbios-ns
>
> But netbios-ns is on a different port than comsat, so I don't see how
> this should make a difference.

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland