Re: kernel build

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Waif W. Urchin wrote:

> Ok,
>
> This is a long tale to get to my question, so please bear with the
> background info.

Sure...

> I downloaded Debian 2.0.34 from the debian mirror site a couple weeks
> ago.  Pulled all the base files, the drivers file, etc.  I ran rawrite2
> to generate the installation disks, ran them, configured every driver
> that sounded useful (specifically serial, lp, ppp, slip, vfat, and
> umsdos) and shabam!  I got Linux.  First time!

Excellent... as was mentioned, you seem pretty up with the play.. the only
thing, you probably dont need umsdos. (Unless you _are_ running linux on a
DOS partition.)

> Played with it for a couple hours, and all was good.  However...
>
> I have been trying, for the last 17 hours of my Linux experience to get
> a PPP connection running to my ISP.  USR Courier external (not winmodem)
> on TTYS1 (com2).
>
> I've used pppconfig, pppsetup, PAP, CHAP, Chat, and the Lord's prayer
> all to no avail.  It dials, and makes the connect sounds, but logs off
> 10 seconds after making the connection.  I assume the ISP is waiting
> for, and not receiving login information, so is timing out.

Possibly... Can you send me/us/the list an excerpt from /var/log/ppp.log
showing what is happening?

> So I briefly gave up and decided to quickly learn about other basic Unix
> stuff like vi and cat and grep using the 'man' command.
>
> Debian can't find man.
>
> find / -name man comes up bare.

Yep... the floppy install is just the basics.. enough to get you going to
do the rest via ftp.

[snip]
> Debian can't find make.
>
> find / -name make comes up bare.
>
> (sigh) What am I missing?  Are make and man called something else in
> Debian?  Did I forget to download some essential ingrediant on those
> first diskettes?  Did I miss some procedure after the disk images are
> installed?

Not at all.. same as above, the floppy install is very basic.

I, as well as the many other guru's (although in my case it is
"semi-partial-guru"), can help you out as much as you need.. And in this
situation, the contents of ppp.log may be very helpful.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

       "Bother," said Pooh, as he fell into the liquid iron ore crucible