Re: kernel build

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Waif W. Urchin wrote:

<snip>

> I have been trying, for the last 17 hours of my Linux experience to get
> a PPP connection running to my ISP.  USR Courier external (not winmodem)
> on TTYS1 (com2).
>
> I've used pppconfig, pppsetup, PAP, CHAP, Chat, and the Lord's prayer
> all to no avail.  It dials, and makes the connect sounds, but logs off
> 10 seconds after making the connection.  I assume the ISP is waiting
> for, and not receiving login information, so is timing out.

<snip>

> So I briefly gave up and decided to quickly learn about other basic Unix
> stuff like vi and cat and grep using the 'man' command.
>
> Debian can't find man.
>
> find / -name man comes up bare.

The floppy install is minimal; doesn't have man; you'll have to download
that once you get your ppp connection going.

There are people on this list lots smarter than me, but they may not be
reading the list this time of night, so here's what I can offer.

I had trouble getting my ppp connection going, but finally decided to
ignore the comment in one of the configuration files (don't remember which
one now; maybe /etc/ppp/peers/provider) that said not to remove the
comment on some line (don't remember which one, mabye "noauth") because
that feature would be used in future releases. I also vaguely remember a
posting or two along this list that mentions "noauth". I realize this
doesn't give you your answers, but maybe it'll give you a clue.

> Alright, fine. I have a book here that covers the basics.  I had heard a
> few people talk about recompiling the kernel to add features however
> (though I'm not sure man counts as a feature persay), and since 2.0.35
> is out, I figured what the hell.
>
> This time however, since I have Linux already installed (but maybe not a
> correctly built kernel), I can download the image in one big file, and
> follow the kernel-HOWTO right from within Linux.  No floppies this
> time.  It's all or nothing.  Right?  Sure.
>
> Downloaded the image (again from the Debian mirror), ran through all the
> pre-flight checks, didn't need to remove /usr/src/linux because it
> didn't exist.  Checked symbolic links for asm, linux, and scsi, and went
> to flush the stale .o files using 'make mrproper'.
>
> Debian can't find make.
>
> find / -name make comes up bare.

For a beginner, you sure seem knowledgeable; I expect to be "comfortable"
with linux in another 10 months (I'm budgeting a year; been at it about 2
months so far).