Re: PPP, host lookup failure and related questions

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, G. Kapetanios wrote:

> 1) pppd comes up on boot fine and I can telnet to a remote host as long as
> I use the ip numeric address. When I use the word address
> e.g. cus.cam.ac.uk instead of 131.... I get a message saying there was a
> host lookup failure. This is not a ppp specific problem as xdm will not
> start either giving a message of a non valid address. I have purged my
> system of all references to the previous name and ip address of machine
> (at leastas far as I know ) but I must be missing something .
> Any ideas ?
this is just the complete failure of your machine to find you nameserver :)
check that you have the correct IP['s] in /etc/resolv.conf

> 2) a related question. I have a static ip address with my isp. Do
> files such as /etc/network /etc/reoslv.conf
> e.t.c need to be reset or is everything taking happening with the
> /etc/ppp/* files  ? Hoe about the /etc/init.d related files
> like /etc/network , /etc/netbase ?
just set them all to the valid IP's for the dialup service.

> by the way is the command ifconfig ppp0 .... valid ?
> The system complains about an unknown inteface.
> I am asking this because I would like to set up services
> such as xntp sshd e.t.c.
there isn't an ifconfig for ppp0 AFAIK. you start the ppp link with
pppd and then it gets handed over to the kernel network stack. the
services shouldn't be a problem they just sit there and run, xntp may
need to go up and down with the link if it starts whinging about not
being able to connect to the time server.

> 3) How can the connection be used only when a service is required and
Diald, although most people tell me it is a bitch to setup.

Nikolai