Re: PPP, host lookup failure and related questions

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, G. Kapetanios wrote:

>1) pppd comes up on boot fine and I can telnet to a remote host as long as
>I use the ip numeric address. When I use the word address
>e.g. cus.cam.ac.uk instead of 131.... I get a message saying there was a
>host lookup failure. This is not a ppp specific problem as xdm will not
>start either giving a message of a non valid address. I have purged my
>system of all references to the previous name and ip address of machine
>(at leastas far as I know ) but I must be missing something .
>Any ideas ?

check /etc/resolv.conf is still good.  you should have a line beginning
'nameserver' that lists the IP of your dns server.

>2) a related question. I have a static ip address with my isp. Do
>files such as /etc/network /etc/reoslv.conf
>e.t.c need to be reset or is everything taking happening with the
>/etc/ppp/* files  ? Hoe about the /etc/init.d related files
>like /etc/network , /etc/netbase ?
>by the way is the command ifconfig ppp0 .... valid ?
>The system complains about an unknown inteface.
>I am asking this because I would like to set up services
>such as xntp sshd e.t.c.

once you have set up the ppp connection, 'ifconfig ppp0' should be valid.
Check that you don't have anything peculiar going on to cause it to use
ppp1 instead.
with the static IP, you can set this IP in your /etc/hosts file to
indicate the correct IP for your machine name.  Do NOT set this as the IP
for 'localhost' as it will break things.  (always remember that /etc/hosts
must have a carriage-return on the end of the last line)
alternatively, if the ppp daemon at the other end provides your IP you can
use the 'noipdefault' pppd setting and have the same IP assigned each
time.

>3) How can the connection be used only when a service is required and
>not all the time as in the u.k. there is no flat telephone rate ?

diald to provide dial-on-demand might be a good option.
if you need the service to be initiated from outside the computer, have a
look at xringd, about which there has been much discussion lately.

>4) Finally (thanks for your patience) is a setup where a
>single telephone line supports both the modem and the phone
>able to support incoming connections ? How does it work ?

I'll have to point you at the mgetty docs for this one.  You can do it.
Perhaps xringd can be used to pick up on certain ring patterns, perhaps
mgetty can listen for distinctive ring, or watch for certain caller-id.
It all depends on how you need to configure it.

dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /
 --|    oOobodoO        /   dsb3@earthlink.net