Re: debian as secretary?

*- Phillip Neumann wrote about "Re: debian as secretary?"

| Hello,
|
| I didnt understand very much what xringd do (i have read the man page...).
| So far i understood that xringd whatch the ring and if that match a sequence tha
| t it knows => take a given action.
|
| If that is what it does, i have a question for the config file. There are come e
| xamples:
| R 1-5 R 20-26 R 30 : command
| Where R=`Ring'.
|
| How can i make a phone call that makes different sequences of rings?? I have nev
| er heard that before...or maybe that mean to call 1 time, hangup, wait 1-5 sec,
| call 2time, wait ....  is that how it works??

Yes, that sequence means call let it ring(R) two times(the normal delay
between rings is 1-5 seconds), hang up, wait 20s, call let it ring once,
hang up, and then if ther is no ring for 30 seconds it will execute
command.  This command could be pon from the pppd package to start your
dialup to the university or isp.  There was a discussion on this over
the last week or two.  In the /etc/ppp/ip-up.d directory create a shell
script that calls '/etc/init.d/xringd stop > /dev/null' and in the
/etc/ppp/ip-down.d directory create a shell script that run
/etc/init.d/xringd start > /dev/null'.  It is necessary to restart the
xringd deamon so it regains control of the modem, thus the stop and
start.

Hope that helps,

Brian

| Ole J. Tetlie wrote:
|
| > *-Phillip Neumann <filsin@bigfoot.com>
| > |
| > | I want to access my pc from univerisy. Of course i can, i have done it.
| > | But I can only if my pc is connected to internet (obvious). I just
| > | cannot getup on 8:00am, turn pc on, connet go to univ. and then back at
| > | 5:00 becouse the phone-line must be paid..$$.. I would like to call my
| > | pc:
| > |
| > | 244334565: ring ring
| > | pc: ``hi Phillip is not here but you can leave a message. If you want to
| > | connect me to internet after you hang up press 1.''
| > | phillip: #1 [beep]
| > | Phillip: hang up
| > | time
| > | time
| > | --phillip go to the univ. computers that are with win95 (jiaaaak) and
| > | ftp to his pc so he can print works at univ.
| > |
| > | (i have not a printer at home)
| > | I could enter at univ. system from home and througt the work to printer,
| > | so when i go there it would be printed, but thats not the idea...
| > |