Re: messages that jam mail readers

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Johann Spies wrote:

> > Has anyone else had this problem with their mail?  Could someone who
> > understands what is causing this problem explain it to me?
>
> I receive mail from this list in digest form and did not experience such
> problem with mail from the list.  However the same thing happened to me
> several times caused by spam.  Every time I have to phone in to my ISP and
> ask them to delete the message as they do not allow me to telnet and do it
> that way.

That's interesting that it was caused by spam.  I've never had any
_technical_ problems with it.  Even if it doesn't jam up my computer, spam
is annoying.

What program are you using for mail?  I've found a way to get fetchmail to
delete these messages, although it's not the most graceful:

1. Interrupt fetchmail with Control C

2. Start it again.  When it starts, it says it is flushing message 1
because it has been seen.  This is always the message it stalled on last
time because it has already flushed all the previous messages after
retrieving them.

> I would also like to know how this can be solved.

We could always go back to using smoke signals :)