Re: messages that jam mail readers

> In <[🔎] 199808042115.OAA03561@raufa.johari.com>, on 08/04/98
>    at 02:15 PM, Taren <taren@c719777-a.frmt1.sfba.home.com> said:
>
> >I just went through the same exact situation with sendmail/procmail.  The
> >problem isn't with your system, or any software you're running on it.
> >What is happening is that you're receiving email from either spoofed
> >addresses which can't be resolved by your DNS server, or from site(s) on
> >the net which are currently unreachable (which was my case).
>
> Why is the email program looking up the sender then?  It seems unnecessry,
> wasting time and bandwith like that.  An attempt to avoid
> fake mail?  If so, it shouldn't hang but skip the offending message. My
> current mail software (under os2) happily accept mail from anywhere - if
> it gets to the ISP then it gets to me.
> Mail from unreachable sites should definitely not be a problem.  There are
> still sites connected by UUCP that aren't reachable at all.

On my system, my email program(s) don't hang... I've no idea why fetchmail
does.  I use - as I indicated above - sendmail, procmail, and - I didn't
mention before, mailx.

When I get an email whose sender's domain won't resolve, the email sits in
the 'inbox' area, and an error message is sent to the sendmail admin, as well
as being logged in the mail error log.  Once the domain is resolvable, the
suspect email is then delivered as normal.

The situation where fetchmail hangs is something which needs to be addressed
with the package maintainer/software developer.

Taren