Re: partition table erased! POSSIBLE RECOVERY??? (urgent..)

On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 06:19:45PM -0300, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> A problem with our disk erased the partition table (at least). Is
> there a way to recover the info, if it's still there? Maybe with some
> ext2 utility trick...
>
> I don't remember the partitions exactly; I tried to create the first
> (root) one with the probable sizes with cfdisk and mounting but each
> time mount complains about wrong superblocks... Of course I didn't use
> mke2fs.
>
> This is my last chance of recovering the info :-( This damn disaster
> happened just a few days before I put the students in the raid
> server...
Well... I've had this happen a few times, and I have been able to recover from
it with minor problems every time. You need to know at least the approximate
size and position of each partition for it to work. Just create the first one,
make it slightly larger than you had it before, and see if you can mount it.
Then adjust the size downward until you can mount the second, and so on. You
also need to know the types, eg if you try to make /dev/hda3 and ext2 partition,
when it was swap, it will not work. And don't use cfdisk, use plain fdisk- it's
quicker.

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :