Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

On 08/03/98 at 11:53 AM, George Bonser <grep@shorelink.com> said:

>Well, it is obvious that some people here are just being hard headed. I
>really do not think there are that many dummies here.  Look at it like
>this. A person wants Linux and decides to spend about 30 minutes to
>choose which one they are going to buy. These are sysadmins, not kernel
>programmers. They take a quick glance, note that Red Hat is 5.2, Debian
>is 2.0 and all the commercial apps ship configured for Red Hat, end of
>decision making process. They see 2.0 Linux and 5.2 linux NOT Debian
>2.0 and Red Hat 5.2  It is how their minds work.

I'm neither a sysadmin nor a kernel programmer, I'm not even a unix
user, I'm just a guy that wanted something stable that was still
progressing (deciding to leaving OS/2 took a long time).  Funny thing,
when I decided to switch my home OS silly me took a few hours and read
about various OSs.  It came down to unix or linux (FreeBSD vs Linux
actually).  In the end linux won because of the controlled chaos
development style.  Then I looked at differant distros.  Debian, RedHat,
and Slackware were the final contenders.  Red Hat lost out after reading
the news groups and linux lists.  From there it became a hard choice,
the total hacker slackware _or_ the commercial grade 100% free debian.
Debian won out.  Since then I have tried RH, reformatted the drive and
re-installed Debian.

That said, if all they do is see 2.0 vs 5.2 then they don't need either
Debian or Red Hat.  They need to stay with what they use at work OR get
Win9x.  Intelligent selection seems to be beyond their ability.

George