Re: New Debian user's reaction to X

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 35C4655A.F6F26FBD@golgotha.net>, Randy Edwards
> <redwards@golgotha.net> writes
>
> >Debian's X installation needed a
> >*lot* of work.
> Which one?
> The text based one (xf86config) or the graphical one (XF86Setup)?

	Hello all,

 Since most half a year I am following any Debian list
since I was using a Debian 1.3.1 dist. Difficulties
came up immediately after having installed debians main
packages and adding X packages for getting my X
running. Nice dream I had. Bad reality reveals. It's
one BIG problem installing any package; i.e. the
netscape one: it required some engl. version 3.x of it.
Problem: no more available. Finally i got it from
anywhere out of hell... Then installation failed. Why ?
I do not know this. But discussing with others we
conluded that at least the dselect-'utility' isn't too
strong in effectivity. (It seems to be a order problem
even if checking dependencies) So now my answer to your
question: Unfortunately it is obvious to me (and
others) that beside the dselect-tool the x-tools need
some help, too. It isn't too comfortable to be useful
installing X, unfortunately.

 Nils Radtke

                   radtke@stud.fh-heilbronn.de

*    AIESEC Heilbronn         *    Steinle und Kloepfer
*    Coordinator ER           *    suk.internet.group
*    Germany                  *    nr@suk.com
*    hn@de.aiesec.org         *    http://www.suk.com