Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

May I step in? I'm pretty new to this list.

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:

> No. No. No. Let me put that foul canard to rest. I do *NOT*,
> repeat *NOT* write software for darned users. I write software
> because it pleases my muse, and becuase I feel like contributing to
> the free software community. This has come up before (in the debate
> that preceded Bruce's leaving the project).

I for one write software for "darned users" and has been doing it for the
last 13 years. That's simply how I make my living. If I were to contribute
to Debian, though (which is unlikely to happen at this time since there's no
time left to do so), I would still write for users *and* for my own
pleasure. If I can't make money from it but still do it, it must be because
I think it's fun, no? Otherwise I'd rather go fishing.

> Precisely. And Debian is not trying tobe the OS for
> everyone. We are trying for a certain niche. Debian may wel be the
> distribution people graduate to, after red hat.

I've worked with most commercial Unix and Unix-like systems out there and
also worked as a DG/UX developer at Data General. I've had all kinds of
problems with Red Hat. IMHO, Debian is the distribution that looks the most
like commercial Unix systems as I know them.

> What's wrong with that? Already, wordperfect is not available
> for Debian as a debian package. Oracle is unlikely to create a Debian
> package. Suse has servers that are not available as .debs either; nor
> are commercial X servers, or motif, or ....

Debian is the most mature Linux distribution I've used and the one we trust
for the servers where I work. Given that, I'd really like to be able to use
Oracle or Informix or Jasmine or whatever, even though it's not free. Maybe
I'm wrong or too phragmatic, but I just don't see much of a problem with
using free and non-free code in the same system. If Informix was to create a
Debian package of their database, would they be prohibited from doing so?

/Robert