Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

George Bonser wrote:
> Some of these people are highly skilled Solaris system administrators that
> do not understand the concept of the different distributions and
> versioning until I explain it to them. All they know at first glance is
> Debian is shipping 2.0 Linux while Red Hat is shipping 5.2 Linux so they
> think Debian is sorely out of date.

After they've been using linux a while, they will become better informed,
try debian for kicks, and stick with it.

Are you proposing we make debian's revision be =
$(current_redhat_revision).($debian_revision)? It nearly sounds that way. Or
do you prefer just 10$(current_debian_revision)

> Debian has no clear rule on what constitutes a major version ... it is
> subjective and arbitrary.

Of course it's subjective and arbitrary! A major release is just when you
want to say to the world, "look what we've done, it's so much better than
what we had before! Everyone, you have to upgrade and come try it!".

We don't need to write rules to govern this, it's very clear when we feel
that way.

--
see shy jo