Re: Kernel 2.0.31 won't compile

Hi,
>>"Mark" == Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> writes:

 Mark> I need to compile the 2.0.31 kernel.  Unfortunately there is
 Mark> not a debian package for the 2.0.31 kernel, so I downloaded the
 Mark> upstream version, unpacked it into /usr/local/src, created
 Mark> links

	What links did you create? Please uncreate those links and try
 again, I fear that may be part of the problem.

 Mark> and followed the instructions for make-kpkg in order to
 Mark> make a kernel image package.  Unfortunately it didn't compile,
 Mark> coming up with compile errors such as

 Mark> /usr/include/sys/types.h:45: conflicting types for `mode_t'
 Mark> /usr/local/src/linux-2.0.31/include/linux/types.h:12: previous declaration
 Mark> of `mode_t'

	Something is seriously wrong here. The kernel is supposed to
 be a self contained syste; it shpuld not be linking with any header
 files outside of the kernel source tree.

	manoj

--
 Natural selection won't matter soon, not anywhere as much as
 conscious selection.  We will civilize and alter ourselves to suit