Advice on a new system

Hello everyone,

I am going to help one of the engineers at my company to build a personal
system.  He has expressed interest in learning about linux and would like to
have a system that will dual boot in both windows 98 and linux.  I have read
several messages on this list talking about problems with windoze messing with
linux partitions.  We are planning to assemble the PC from parts so we can
purchase specific items if needed.

The current plans are for a K6-II 300MHz system with fast wide SCSI disks.  I am
thinking of installing two drives (one for linux and the other for windoze).  I
would like to make this system very easy for the engineer to boot into either
OS.

My questions are:

1. What procedure and order should I follow in installing the two OS'es.

2. Recommendations on FW SCSI adapters?

3. We are going to want to add a CD-R drive to this system.  Should we look for
a SCSI device or use the on-board IDE interface?  Does the operation of IDE
devices compromise the access speed of SCSI devices?

Thanks!

Doug