Re: Advice on a new system

>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I am going to help one of the engineers at my company to build a personal
>> system.  He has expressed interest in learning about linux and would like to
>> have a system that will dual boot in both windows 98 and linux.  I have read
>> several messages on this list talking about problems with windoze messing with
>> linux partitions.  We are planning to assemble the PC from parts so we can
>> purchase specific items if needed.
>>
>> The current plans are for a K6-II 300MHz system with fast wide SCSI disks.  I am
>> thinking of installing two drives (one for linux and the other for windoze).  I
>> would like to make this system very easy for the engineer to boot into either
>> OS.

 Why don't you for example take two disks and split the half and half.
 With Linux you get a noticeable increase in performance if your system
 is spread on different disks. For example take two 4 gig drives and
 split them 2gig and 2gig for both systems. Root and else on first drive
 and /usr on the second.

 I'd recommend IBM drives, for example DDRS series 4,5 gigs are fast
 and relatively inexpensive.

>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1. What procedure and order should I follow in installing the two OS'es.
>>
>> 2. Recommendations on FW SCSI adapters?

 Go with UW. I don't think you can find FW adapters anymore these days.
 Buslogic/Mylex or some NCR/Symbios 53C875 based cards are most
 supported (and for example Asus SC-875 UW adapter cost one third that
 Adaptec 2940UW costs).

>> 3. We are going to want to add a CD-R drive to this system.  Should we look for
>> a SCSI device or use the on-board IDE interface?  Does the operation of IDE
>> devices compromise the access speed of SCSI devices?

 SCSI devices generally burn more reliably. The IDE device can affect the function
 of SCSI devices, if it hogs all the cpu, which ain't that incommon.

	--j