Re: why does the kernel suck up memory?

On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Mike Brownlow wrote:

> Yes it think it was sig 11. But I haven't done any major hardware
> changes on it (IOW, it worked ok with RedHat). I upgraded the ram a while
> back tho. Recently I've been able to use it when I come back into work.
> But if I quit X, the only way to get it back is with a reboot. I'll double
> check the MB's settings though. I tried overclocking it a while back and
> that proved unsuccessful. Maybe I forgot a jumper somewhere...

I have had considerable trouble with sig 11 faults while running the
newer kernels and compiling and I think I might have discovered what it
is: CPU overheating.  I wanted to wait until I tested things a bit more
before I said this but I am almost convinced now that my problem on the
486 machine is a bad fan and on the other machine it is also a weak fan
and running the rc5 cracking process at a high priority.

I have been running the rc5 client on these machines and that pertty much
keeps the CPU busy all the time and never allows it to halt and cool down.
I think I am going to bail from the rc5 challenge except on machines in a
nice cool computer room environment.

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org