Re: why does the kernel suck up memory?

Klaus Wacker wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 12:18:19AM -0600, Mike Brownlow wrote:
> > I am having the reverse problem on my machine at work. It doesn't
> > want to use the swap partition at all unless I force it to.
[ some stuff ]
> > I would compile it [xfree86] from source but the same problems
> > happen during a compile. I had to reboot several times to get the
> > kde and kernel sources to finish.
>
> This looks very similar to the problem I had before I changed my
> motherboard (or before I switched off 2nd level cache on my old
> motherboard). I.e., I suspect it is a hardware problem. How does the
> compilation stop, with signal 11?

Yes it think it was sig 11. But I haven't done any major hardware
changes on it (IOW, it worked ok with RedHat). I upgraded the ram a while
back tho. Recently I've been able to use it when I come back into work.
But if I quit X, the only way to get it back is with a reboot. I'll double
check the MB's settings though. I tried overclocking it a while back and
that proved unsuccessful. Maybe I forgot a jumper somewhere...

> I am using a script which compiles the kernel 100 times to test my
> hardware. I had a probability of a signal 11 crash of gcc about every
> 3 or 4 times. When a crash happened, further invocations of gcc would
> usually crash immediately, so the remainder of the loop ran through
> very quickly. To get better statistics, I added a program like you
> describe after each compilation. This has the effect of forcing the
> (presumably damaged) gcc executable out of the memory buffer and a
> reload of a fresh copy from disk, so the loop could continue.
>
> --
> Klaus Wacker         wacker@Physik.Uni-Dortmund.DE
> 51°29'9"N 7°25'9"E   http://www.physik.uni-dortmund.de/~wacker

Cool. I'll have to write that memory grabber program again. I'll also try
the mem=48 line as suggested by:

Fabien Ninoles wrote:
> May be this pointer can help a little bit (sorry if not):
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/memory-tuning.txt

Maybe even stick that memory grabber in cron? My disk will probably die soon
though.

-mike