Re: why does the kernel suck up memory?

George Bonser wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Mike Brownlow wrote:
>
> > Yes I think it was sig 11. But I haven't done any major hardware
> > changes on it (IOW, it worked ok with RedHat). I upgraded the ram a while
> > back tho.
>
> I have had considerable trouble with sig 11 faults while running the
> newer kernels and compiling and I think I might have discovered what it
> is: CPU overheating.  I wanted to wait until I tested things a bit more
> before I said this but I am almost convinced now that my problem on the
> 486 machine is a bad fan and on the other machine it is also a weak fan
> and running the rc5 cracking process at a high priority.

Now this is interesting. There are no fans inside my box at work. Only
a heatsink. Well, there's the P/S fan. But that's it. I'll have to try this
tomorrow too, err..today rather. My box at home has 3 fans and I rarely have
any problems. The one at work is a P133(debian). At home it's a 6x86MX
PR200(slack (soon to be debian (ahh! nested parens!))).

Thanks for all the help!

-mike