Re: Couldn't get a free page.....

This is common with 2.0.33, is that the kernel version you are using?
Also, just to make folks aware of the situation, I have gotten some really
weird filesystem corruption with 2.0.33 that has (thankfully) always been
corrected by a reboot but I really do not like rebooting these systems as
I do not have physical access to them.  I have dropped back to 2.0.32 for
all systems I maintain except the ones I have ready physical access to. It
does not seem to be a problem on the lightly loaded systems, just the ones
that are being pounded rather hard.

BTW, there are constant reports of memory corruption and OOPSies on the
kernel list for 2.0.33 with busy systems. The general rule of thumb is
that unless there is some feature of 2.0.33 that you simply can not live
without, use 2.0.32.

On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, Serge Delorme wrote:

> I don't think it's debian specific and really a big problem...just
> curious. Sometimes when booting I get this message just after the swap
> partitions are initialized, so it must be when fsck is running.
>
> The booting process goes ok to the end and the system is stable. It seems
> to occur only when I have a forced filesystem check. So just after loggin
> in here is the output of free:

> Mem:         31164      30044       1120       4884      20096       3808
> -/+ buffers:             6140      25024
> Swap:        64472         24      64448
>
> Am I correct in saying that fsck need some space to write God knows what
> and since the disks are read-only it uses ram?
>

> --
>    Serge Delorme (sdelorme@berthier.autray.net)
>    Berthierville, Quebec
>    Canada
>    ABUSUS NON TOLLIT USUM

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org