Re: Virtual Consoles

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Graham Lillico +44 1785 248131 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me why debian 1.3.1 uses agetty, instead of something like
> mingetty?
>
> I wish to screen to clear after booting my system but using agetty this is not
> possible, I have tried using mingetty and this does what I require, but I am
> wondering if there is anyreason agetty was chosen (i.e Does it support some
> features mingetty does not, when used for virtual consoles)?

It is possible with agetty, since I am using it and I managed to get it to
clear the screen.

Somewhere in /etc/init.d there is a file that rebuilds your /etc/issue
every time you boot the system. I think it is /etc/init.d/boot. You can
find it with "grep issue /etc/init.d/*". Change the code that rewrites
/etc/issue to, for example, this:

# Rewrite the file /etc/issue
echo -e \\033[H\\033[J > /etc/issue
cat <<EOF >> /etc/issue
Welcome to \\n.\\o at \\l

This system runs \\s \\r on \\m

EOF

The first 'echo' command puts codes in /etc/issue that will clear the VC.
the rest puts a nice banner on the screen. For some reason you have to use
double backslashes instead of single backslashes. I think it has to do
with bash. Look at the "issue escapes" section in the man page for getty
to see what you can do with this.

Remco