Virtual Consoles

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why debian 1.3.1 uses agetty, instead of something like
mingetty?

I wish to screen to clear after booting my system but using agetty this is not
possible, I have tried using mingetty and this does what I require, but I am
wondering if there is anyreason agetty was chosen (i.e Does it support some
features mingetty does not, when used for virtual consoles)?

Regards Graham