Re: smail (again..... sheesh..)

Michael Beattie writes:
> What I would like to know is what are peoples opinion's on their own
> configurations, and what the pro's and con's are. One I can think of;
> Daniel's rewriting of /etc/smail/config every login,...

I may try that.

> ... versus having visible_name set to your ISP's domain,...

That is what I am doing now, but I don't like it.  It would be fine if I
could get smail to use my complete popmail name, though.  Can sendmail do
that?

> ...to have a valid hostname.

I have one.  It just makes things worse, since it isn't in my isp's domain.

> What would people suggest in my situation, where my ISP's SMTP server
> does not mind invalid hostnames?

That may change.

> should I just use it as a smarthost, and forget about visible_name?

Those are unrelated.

> I have not understood how to set up a smarthost, how is this done?

In /etc/routers I have:

smart_host:
        driver=smarthost, transport=smtp;
        path=bucky.win.bright.net