Re: smail (again..... sheesh..)

On 3 Mar 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> Michael Beattie writes:
> > What I would like to know is what are peoples opinion's on their own
> > configurations, and what the pro's and con's are. One I can think of;
> > Daniel's rewriting of /etc/smail/config every login,...
>
> I may try that.
>
> > ... versus having visible_name set to your ISP's domain,...
>
> That is what I am doing now, but I don't like it.  It would be fine if I
> could get smail to use my complete popmail name, though.  Can sendmail do
> that?
>
> > ...to have a valid hostname.
>
> I have one.  It just makes things worse, since it isn't in my isp's domain.

I gather you mean a valid domain as in being in the DNS??

> > What would people suggest in my situation, where my ISP's SMTP server
> > does not mind invalid hostnames?
>
> That may change.

hehe.... not my ISP, they are so slack that billing sometimes get
completly screwed up...

> > should I just use it as a smarthost, and forget about visible_name?
>
> Those are unrelated.

True, but I meant in the situation that with visible_name set to my ISP, I
would not have to use a smarthost for spam-rejecting sites, as it would
appear you are masquerading as your ISP, which has a valid hostname on the
DNS... And using a smarthost, visible_name could be set to your machine's
name.

> > I have not understood how to set up a smarthost, how is this done?
>
> In /etc/routers I have:
>
> smart_host:
>         driver=smarthost, transport=smtp;
>         path=bucky.win.bright.net