Re: dpkg thinks my pentium is an i486 ?

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Sorry, I missed the beginning of the thread, but these are the facts:
>
> "uname -a" will report your machine type, the same as in "cat /proc/cpuinfo".
>
> Then, when you compile, you can specify an architecture. This can be i386,
> i486, i586 for intel. BUT all compiled programs by gcc will run on every
> architecture. If you compile for i586, you still can run it on i386. The
> only difference is the order of tha machine instructions. By default, no
> i486 or i586 specific instructions will be used, it is all about
> optimization. The programs may differ in speed and memory usage.

Apparently, if you build a kernel for other than i386 (say, i486), it
won't run on i386

> If I missed the topic of the thread, please tell. Maybe I also know the
> answer of the original question ;)

Well, I was experimenting with builing packages from source and I noticed
that they were compiled for i486. The rules file calls
 dpkg --print-gnu-build-architecture
to determine the machine.

I wondered why it sees my i586 as a i486.

Don't confuse this with the architecture which is i386, even for PentiumII
I guess.

Cheers,

Joost

$ dpkg --print-gnu-build-architecture
i486
$ dpkg --print-architecture
i386
$ dpkg --print-installation-architecture
i386
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : 586
model           : Pentium 75+
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
stepping        : 12
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : yes
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid           : yes
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8
bogomips        : 66.56
$ uname -a
Linux pc47 2.0.33 #1 Fri Feb 13 16:21:19 CET 1998 i586 unknown