Re: Lee: Re: smail Solution for Dynamic IP's

lee.bradshaw@mindspring.com (Lee Bradshaw) writes:

> David in another message you were suggesting I not use the "from " line.
> Do you know how to turn it off?  I haven't found any way to control
> this line -- smail seems to generate this line as Carey describes for
> sendmail.

(This isn't quite what you're asking, but just to clarify things.)

If you use normal mailbox files, your will get "From " lines in them.
This is one BSD-ish way of separating messages, and it just happens to
have the envelope sender in it.

The envelope sender is what smail or another MTA sends in the SMTP
transaction:

 > 220 psyche ESMTP
 < HELO psyche
 < MAIL FROM:<c.evans@clear.net.nz>            # Envelope sender