Re: dpkg thinks my pentium is an i486 ?

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, joost witteveen wrote:

> Isn't this because we want packages built on Intel systems to be the
> same? If dpgk were to report "Pentium", and some compiler is going
> to create real Pentium code (that doesn't run on i386), then you
> wouldn't be able to build Intel packages on your pentium any more.

Hmm, I'm confused even more now. I thought that all standard debian intel
packages are built for i386? Some time ago, I built an i486 kernel and it
wouldn't boot on an i386, I had to rebuild it for i386. Returning to my
question, this would mean that a package that I build on an i586 wouldn't
run on an i386 because it is built for i486?

Cheers,

Joost