Re: Can't send mail from my machine:

On Sun, Dec 27, 1998 at 10:43:53PM -0900, Britton wrote:

> I would try exim instead of smail, I've found it easier to set up with
> nice docs.  I'm trying to get address re-writing working now, but at least
> I can send messages (albeit with my-local-username@my-isps-hostname for a
> From: address).  The rewrite stuff has fairly good instructions.  I think
> I got errors something like yours also, I think it turned out to be a
> question of picking the right response when asked for a hostname at some
> point in there and restarting inetd or some deamon like that (helpful
> huh?).   Anyway, good luck, and let me know if you get rewriting working
> logically for a ppp connected machine :)

I replaced smail with exim, and had basically the same problem.  However, exim's error email was formatted slightly better - just enough to point me in a direction that allowed me to get to the point you were.  i.e., I can send messages (albeit with my-local-username@my-isps-hostname for a From: address.

I will let you know if I improve this situation.

Thanks,

Matt Miller (mmiller@netnet.net)
Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None.  They just define Darkness(tm) as the new industry standard.