Re: Defragging large filesystems

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Oleg Krivosheev wrote:

> Are you sure? ext2 is quite good to keep files allocated continiously.
>
> AFAIK, fragmentation percentage is not what you're
> probably thinking. ext2 allocates space for file
> in continious blocks which has some size limit (few megs?).
> I believe fragmentation percentage means that more than
> one continious block is allocated for file(s), but that
> blocks might be as well following each other !
>
> What does that mean? "Real" fragmentation percentage
> always less than or equal to reported one, and i don't
> know how to get the "real" one reported.
>
> I might be very wrong though...
>
> HNY
>
> OK

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here. Seems to me
fragmentation percentage would mean how much my files are fragmented. On
all my other filesystems, the percentage is between 1 and 3. I can
understand how the mp3 filesystem may have become so fragmented, with the
constant deleting and moving around of files. And my question still hasn't
been answered. How can I defragment it?

| pretzelgod                 | pretzelgod@pretzelnet.com   |
| (Eric Gillespie, Jr.)      | epgilles@olemiss.edu        |
| "That's the problem with going from a soldier to a       |
|  politician: you actually have to sit down and listen to |
|  people who six months ago you would've just shot.       |
|  --President John Sheridan, Babylon 5                    |