Binary-cat Console Junkedness... [(Sort of) OFF-TOPIC]

Knowing the answer to this question doesn't matter much, but I am
curious...

Why does a VC go bonkies when you cat a binary file from it?  What doesn't
make sense to me is that only some of the chars display wrong, and that
it's only the display that is ruined, but the actual characters are intact
as far as bash is concerned.

I know all you have to do to un-junk it is `echo C-v ESC c`, (which helped
me a lot before I learned about the `file` command), but I'm still curious.

Anyone know what is happening?

-Ryan