Removing mungled packages

A while ago I installed the xfstt package and it wouldn't install properly.
There has since been an update to this package and I figured the update would
clear up my problem.  No such luck.

Dpkg reports problems with this package and suggests that I should reinstall.
Reinstalling just gives me the below errors.  I've though about removing xfstt
with the force remove-reinstreq option, but I'm hesitant to do that.  Could
someone suggest what is the accepted way of dealing with a situation like
this?

For the curious, below is the error messages I get:

[/var/cache/apt/archives] # dpkg -i xfstt*.deb
(Reading database ... 47400 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xfstt 0.9.10-2 (using xfstt_0.9.10-3.deb) ...
/etc/init.d/xfstt: line 18: syntax error near unexpected token `start)'
/etc/init.d/xfstt: line 18: `    start)'
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/etc/init.d/xfstt: line 18: syntax error near unexpected token `start)'
/etc/init.d/xfstt: line 18: `    start)'
dpkg: error processing xfstt_0.9.10-3.deb (--install):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
/etc/init.d/xfstt: line 18: syntax error near unexpected token `start)'
/etc/init.d/xfstt: line 18: `    start)'
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 xfstt_0.9.10-3.deb

--
 Regards,   | Windows 98: n. minor bug-fix/patch release of 32-bit
 .          | extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to