Re: apt -> wmaker 0.20.3

"Christopher S. Swingley" wrote:

> I've got Debian 2.0 (Hamm) installed and want to jump up to Window Maker
> 0.20.  Earlier this week I tried using dselect to just upgrade wmaker and
> the packages it depended on, but dselect decided that I should upgrade
> everything to what was in the unstable ftp directory.  From listening in
> on this group, it sounds like apt-get would be a better way to upgrade a
> particular package and it's dependencies, without spending hours
> downloading everything else.  Can I simply download the following *.deb
> files, install them from bottom up with dpkg --install, and then use
> apt-get to upgrade just window maker and it's dependencies?  Will this
> break anything else (like my package database, or my ability to build
> programs, etc.)?
>
> Here's the packages that apt says it depends on:
>
>     apt_0_1_9.deb
>         lib6_2_0_7v-1.deb
>             ldso_1.9.9-5.deb
>         libstd++2_9_2_91_60-1.deb
>
> Thanks much.
>
> [snip]

	What you are trying to do is essentially an upgrade from a libc5 based system
to a libc6 one.  Just installing the libc6 package isn't enough.  There is a
script kept on debian.org in the 'developer's corner' (or something like this)
that will do the important work of the upgrade safely.  Afterwords, you can
use apt or dselect to finish the upgrade.  Getting slink on a CD (if anyone is
distributing slink on a CD) would probably make the install easier.
	You could get the source package of wm .20 from the slink sources directory
and compile it for your libc5 system.  This might work, I don't know.
	Note:  slink is frozen and working for most people, but just a few weeks ago
it was both frozen and broken.  There are still reported problems by some.

--
Ed C.