Re: Communicator Installation

>Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 00:21:40 -0600 (CST)
>From: Kent West <westk@nicanor.acu.edu>
>To: KTB <ktb@binary.net>
>cc: "debian-user@lists.debian.org" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>,
>        recipient list not shown: ;
>Subject: Re: Communicator Installation
>
>On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, KTB wrote:
>
>> I followed the instructions from the previous mail and got the
following result:

>> gzip: stdin: unexpected en of file
>> tar: unexpected EOF on archive file
>> tar: child returned status 1
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>>
>> I have also tried to install Communicator 4.0 to see if that works,
it didn't.

>> I have also tried, dpkg -i netscape-unpacked.9955/ and got this:
>>
>> dpkg-split: error reading netscape-unpacked.9955/: Is a directory
>> dpkg: error processing netscape-unpacked.9955/ (--install):
>>           subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2
>>

><snip>
>
>> I have to tear myself away for three days, damn holiday:)  I will
>be monitoring email
>> though, so feel free to respond if someone has a clue as to what is
going on with my
>> Linux.
>> Thanks,
>> Kent
>>
><snip>

/root/communicator-v45-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz

>This sounds like the correct filename. "netscape-unpacked.9955" does
not.
>I think maybe your download method is trying to unpack it as it
downloads.
>See if your ftp client/browser/whatever has an option to turn that off,
or
>just do a straight ftp. Ask for help if you don't know how to ftp.
>
>--
>Kent West
>kent.west@infotech.acu.edu
>KC5ENO - Amateur Radio: When all else fails.
>Linux - Finally! A real OS for the Intel PC!
>"Life is an ongoing classroom." - Capt. James T. Kirk, "Dreadnought"

I don't have my notes in front of me but the "netscape-unpacked.9955"
came from using a command 'tar <some other letters>
communicator-v45....' According to Sudhakar's instructions something
like that was supposed to happen and I needed to use dpkg -i on
"netscape-unpacked.9955."  If I understood him correctly.  Merry
Christmas if you celebrate!
Kent