Re: Communicator Installation

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, KTB wrote:

> I followed the instructions from the previous mail and got the following result:
>
> gzip: stdin: unexpected en of file
> tar: unexpected EOF on archive file
> tar: child returned status 1
>
> I have also tried to install Communicator 4.0 to see if that works, it didn't.
>
> I have also tried, dpkg -i netscape-unpacked.9955/ and got this:
>
> dpkg-split: error reading netscape-unpacked.9955/: Is a directory
> dpkg: error processing netscape-unpacked.9955/ (--install):
>           subprocess dpkg-split returned error exit status 2

<snip>

> I have to tear myself away for three days, damn holiday:)  I will
be monitoring email
> though, so feel free to respond if someone has a clue as to what is going on with my
> Linux.
> Thanks,
> Kent

<snip>

> Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
>
> > > Hi, I'm trying to install Communicator 4.5 and can't get anywhere.  I
> > > downloaded the file with Lynx from the netscape ftp site.  The file was
> > > saved in /root/communicator-v45-export.x86-unknown-linux2.0.tar.gz

This sounds like the correct filename. "netscape-unpacked.9955" does not.
I think maybe your download method is trying to unpack it as it downloads.
See if your ftp client/browser/whatever has an option to turn that off, or
just do a straight ftp. Ask for help if you don't know how to ftp.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu