Re: Violence: Lethal StarOffice...

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Adam Shand wrote:

> just as a follow up note here.  don't even bother with the patch from
> stardivision, it's a waste of time (imho of course).  star office still
> crashes and behaves erratically even with the patch, and if the problems
> are as bad as mine were (the install crashed on the welcome screen) you
> can't even apply the patch because the patch has to be applied *after* the
> installation.  neat eh?
>
> just change to the svga server.  as best as i can tell it makes no
> difference and seems more stable (thought that's gut rather then hard
> fact).

Well, the patch seems to work for me. StarOffice 5.0 Has not crashed on
me yet.

> i'm still not that happy with so5 and am going to install wp8 tomorrow and
> see which i like better.  all i really want is the ability to read word
> and excell 97 files and i can do without excel if i have to.

I have tried Wordperfect 8 for Linux and it can read/save word97 files but
connot read/write excel97 formats.

Fortunately, SO5 can read do the above.

regards,

= ===== Andre M. Varon  Lasaltech Incorporated
= =  == Technical Head  Fax-Tel: (034)435-0836
= == =
=  = =  E-mail  : andrelst@mozcom.com
==== =  WebPage : http://andre.lasaltech.com