Re: Matrox Xserver on Debian

I know a couple people who have installed this card, including myself.
Here is what I did.
1. From http://www.suse.de/XSuSE/XSuSE_E.html, I got the following
   for my Matrox G200 video card,
        xmatrox-2.2-0.i386.rpm
        xsuseconfig-981102.tgz
2. I ran
        alien xmatrox-2.2-0.i386.rpm
   which created the debian file
        xmatrox_2.2-1_i386.deb
   I install this xmatrox_2.2-1_i386.deb file,
      dpkg -i xmatrox_2.2-1_i386.deb

3. I uncompressed and installed
        xsuseconfig-981102.tgz
   This has the program xf86config, which will recognize your matrox G200
   card.  Specifically this tar file has two files,
      /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config
      /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards
    These two files replace those belonging to the xbase package.
4. Backup /etc/X11/XF86Config, then run
      xf86config
4. You probably don't even need to run xf86config.
   If you don't mind using your old resolutions (eg, 1024x768)
   and the old amounts for video memory,
   then you need only change the first line of Xserver to
      /usr/X11R6/bin/XFCom_Matrox
    This surprised and delighted me that I didn't need to run xf86config
    or alter XF86Config when going from an NEC C500 monitor and a
    Number 9 S3V video card to a newer Nokia 445Xpro monitor and
    a Matrox G200 video card.
    I eventually did run xf86config, though, with no real problems.
    This xf86config seemed to know I had 8192 KB memory.

The package xmatrox_2.2-0.i386.rpm has the files
   /usr/X11R6/bin/XFCom_Matrox
   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.XFCom_Matrox
   /usr/doc/xmatrox/copyright
   /usr/doc/xmatrox/changelog.Debian
   /usr/doc/xmatrox/buildinfo.Debian
All these are uniquely "matrox" so present no conflicts with other files.

When you upgrade packages with dselect, dselect won't know the location
of xmatrox (for all practical purposes, I removed my created  matrox debian
package), though it knows you installed it and what its files are.  When you
eventually do upgrade to a version of debian with
the Matrox G200 driver (maybe in March, 1999?), then you can of course
purge this xmatrox package.

Any upgrade of xbase will replace your two new files from suse.

In the past I could more easily get my video card's driver,
but once I got the xmatrox package, I found installation much simpler.
For example, I did not need to do an "X --probeonly" to get the clocks.