Re: Custom kernel build question. Help !!

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Mahesh Padmanabhan wrote:

> My question is:
> 1) How can I cleanly build a new kernel image (zImage) without affecting
> the Debian installation on my PC ?

Use the regular make commands (I think: make mrproper; make menuconfig;
make depend; make zImage; But look at the docs to be sure).

> 2) How do I then transfer this image to a floppy to make a rescue disk
> out of this image so that I can boot the laptop with it ?

Write the rescue image to a floppy and mount the floppy as a msdos disk
to /mnt.  Copy your kernel over the existing one and run whatever script
there is (it will do some rdev stuff).  I believe there is also a doc on
the disk about what needs to be compiled into the kernel (loopback,
filesystems, ramdisk, etc).

HTH,
Brandon