Custom kernel build question. Help !!

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop and I have Debian 2.0 R1. I also have a PC which
I wanted to use to build a zImage kernel for this laptop since bzImage
and the tecra rescue disk sends the Toshiba to continuous reboot.

My question is:
1) How can I cleanly build a new kernel image (zImage) without affecting
the Debian installation on my PC ?
2) How do I then transfer this image to a floppy to make a rescue disk
out of this image so that I can boot the laptop with it ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mahesh

PS: For direct replies remove "nospam" from the email.