PCMCIA help!!!

Hi, I have installed Linux on a Winbook laptop. Everything works but my PCMCIA modem and I dont' understand why... My PCMCIA card is a made by Creative Labs and is fax-modem 28,800 bauds. I've tried to read the HOWTO-PCMCIA. It doesn't help and it is too complicated anyway...
What I've done till now :
I have installed the Linux base system from scratch with floppies
I understand that the PCMCIA, if I follow the steps during installation, is normally done.
I have set up a PPP connection
But when i type "pon", nothing happens and i go back to the prompt.
 Just one thing : my sound card is dead, i don't want to replace it so when i place the card in it's drive, i cannot hear the beep sound... But this shouldn't have any king influence.

So what am I supposed to do? To i have to run something like : mount /dev/modem /moden or what?
Thanks for your help...