Re: How to boot single user with loadlin?

In article <cistron.367FAB88.A7380EC7@sgi.com>, Jim Lynch  <jwl@sgi.com> wrote:
>I'm not using LILO and boot into Linux from a config.sys menu option
>under Win95.  I use loadlin to boot Linux.  I needed to do some
>maintenance the other day and found that booting single from a running
>system doesn't work very well.  It keeps /usr mounted because it doesn't
>kill off the process using /usr, I guess.

Perhaps you used the wrong way to go to single user mode. The only
correct way to switch to single user from multi user is:

	shutdown now

[Note the omission of the -r/-h option!].

>Anyway then I set out to try
>to boot single user from loadlin.exe.  I didn't know what to put.  I
>tried loadlin vmlinux root=/dev/hdb1 ro single, but that didn't seem to
>work.  Can someone enlighten me?

Can't help you with that one.

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?